Thursday, November 15, 2012

Short Writing - 2 - Platonic.

Hey Ryloggers,
Another attempt at short writing story, this time going for more personal and informal



I winced and swore loudly as I banged my elbow on the doorway, my irritation reaching a near peak. It would be the understatement of the century to call what I was having a bad day. A bad day is when you have to sit through a butt load of homework or when your phone battery dies on the long bus ride home and you are left with no music to satisfy your boredom.  A bad day is when you have an exam and you have no idea what the hell is going on or when you embarrass yourself on stage in front of a jeering crowd. A bad day is when... well you get the gist.  What I was having was not a bad day, it is Satan himself having revenge on me for god knows what. And yes, the irony of that statement was not lost on me.


I was already feeling sick when I went to school, only to be welcomed by downright bitter grades in my mid terms. Then my friends being the practical jokers and having managed to get decent grades themselves, decided to flaunt it by having a little fun at my expense. It ended up with my phone and iPod getting confiscated, me having to take blame for their mess, a fight with the two fifty pound dork who is my history teacher, storming out of class, a lecture by the Deputy Principal. I can tell you, that did not lighten my mood, which was already terrible because of this stalemate situation i was locked in with one of my best friends who was abroad. We were fighting and neither of us wanted to give in, so we are basically ignoring each other. Yea, we are terribly mature. Oh and also not to mention that, I also ended up losing my lunch money, so I was starving. Then I went home to have a huge fallout with my parents and ended up not eating there either.

So, by the time I walked in to my physics tuition class I was hardly able to keep a cool head. As much as I had wanted to go to sleep and forget this day even happened, I knew I had to come here.  Not just to escape from the house, but I also knew that the only hope to turn this day around was here, that this was the place to be.

I knew I was proven right when I saw her standing in the corridor, waiting for me. Her bag lay thrown on the floor as she stood with her back to the wall, her arms crossed, alone and aloof, deeply lost in thought. I crept up next to her and said softly, ‘Hi Stranger.’ She turned in my direction and smiled broadly, a smile which did not reach her eyes. I looked at her, seeing my own sorrow reflected on her beautiful eyes, her usual composed and seemingly happy mask not fooling me. I smiled back at her, realizing that I must be just as transparent. After all, we have never been able to hide much from each other. No more need for words, she wrapped her arms around me and I held her tightly close to my heart as if my life depended on it, washing, pooling our sorrows together. After all, it had always been loneliness and sorrow that had driven us together. Two lost souls, two friends finding solace with each other, platonic and comforting. After what seemed like hours, we broke apart at the sound of a car horn, outside. ‘I have to go,’ she said, ‘I’d see you later.’  She slung her bag on her back and started walking towards the door, turning around to wave and smile, this time more genuinely lighting up her whole face as she did so. I waved goodbye and headed upstairs to my class, feeling better than I had all week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog